Here are the cliff notes of the rules I needed to follow
- PQ8 challenge 3:
- Inspired by texture - I was thinking of edamame fields :D
- Piece must be made from inception to completion in ONE WEEK.
- Link up for voting to win kick ass prizes!
- Mad Mod Quilt Guild Challenge
- We were given one fat quarter of Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in the color lime to coordinate with Pantone's 2017 color of the year and could make anything we wanted.
- Due at the March meeting.
- My personal goals
- Complete both challenges in one week
- Use new-to-me Accuquilt 2.5" strip die
- Learn something new
- Make something "modern art-y" for our walls
So maybe it's a three for instead of a two-for? (That was a joke for you 30 Rock fans)
This was my inspiration - Edamame! I love edamame and I was looking for texture and GREEN which is hard to find in the wild of Wisconsin in the wintertime so I had to find it in the wilds of the interwebs Trish. :D
|Photo shared with permission by the United Soybean Board.|
The challenge was announced on Sunday, January 29 and I had the top done that day. After a couple cocktails I thought, wouldn't it be cool to run the top through my Accuquilt again and make something totally unexpected? No. No it wouldn't. This idea now lives in the trash. It basically turned into a really ineffective bargello quilt which was not the "modern art-y" look I wanted. So, I remade the top that night with my scraps. It finished at 21" x 24" but still a good size for a wall quilt.
It had no heart nor texture! Texture being the whole point of this weeks PQ8 challenge! It looked like a child's interpretation of modern art instead of actual art. I really wanted to make something like S. D. Evans and instead it looked like I gave up on life. Okay maybe that is a little dramatic but it was looking pretty lame. I hoped quilting would save it as it usually does. I started quilting straight lines across and it looked better but I still didn't love it. It gave me the look I wanted for something to hang in my house but I didn't learn much, there was no texture and I wasn't very proud of it.
THEN, I decided to make it useful which also gave it texture. I used the whole thing as a practice piece/sample of my favorite decorative stitches my sewing machine offers. I never played with them before. THAT was fun. It looks less modern art-y and a bit more country crafty but I love it soooo much more now. If I can't learn something new with the project it's pretty pointless for me.
Here are the pictures! You'll find bugs, turtles, loops, waves, squiggles and some others. Now I have to quick publish this so I am entered into the PQ8 challenge!
Now it's time to vote for your favorite TOP TEN quilts of this week's PQ8 challenge. Please vote based on merit. There are a lot of super cool quilts to choose from!